Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hakka Thunder Tea Rice (客家雷茶)

Have you tried this before? The Hakka Thunder Tea Rice a.k.a Hakka Lui Chai (客家雷茶)? If you have not, then I think you should really try it some day. It is a very famous hakka dish and I think it takes a lot of work to prepare it.

When I was a little girl, my father brought me a few times to some restaurant that sells the Hakka Lui Cha, and to be honest, I never like it. I can't really accept the taste of the green soup (lui cha). Can you imagine, I can still remember the taste of the lui cha after all these years!!

There's this stall selling hakka lui cha near my office, it had been there for at least a year but i never try before. I guess i'm just afraid to taste the green soup even after all these years. But somehow, last week, i decided to give it a try. Well, maybe because I got bored with the usual food i'm eating? Maybe becos i'm old, my taste bud changed? I might like it, erm, maybe?

Hakka Lui Cha, RM 4.80
looks nice rite?
it consists of rice, long beans, peanuts,
cabbage, some kind of green leaf vege, tofu and etc.

and the lui cha..
I heard this is really very nutritious,
but erm, by looking at the color,
it really makes me dun feel like touching it!
it is made of some kind of tea, they grind it
to powder to prepare the soup (if i'm not mistaken).

I heard the correct way of eating this is to pour this lui cha (the green soup) into the rice. I tasted a bit of the lui cha and i found that i still can't accept the taste. I ended up leave it untouched and just eat the rice alone. Surprisingly, the rice taste good. A lot to munch, the vege, the peanuts, the tofu. Ya, i know, i know that's not the correct way to eat but i prefer this way. :)

What about you? Do you like Hakka lui cha?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... that day i follow my sister to eat Lui Char also...

First time loh, i also don dare to drink the soup, and return to the restaurant :p

ah yan ♥ said...

aiyo... Lui Cha punya essence are all in the soup leh. it's made of many many kind of vegetable + tea leaf. good for your body though!

i dun dare to touch the soup when i first time eat it too. after watching HoChak! on how they prepare Lui Cha, i gave it another try n it taste really good ^^

Unknown said...

oh...my mother in law good in cooking this lui cha. Maybe you should come and try someday...then you will have different perception towards the Hakka Lui Cha. In fact, I like to eat Hakka Lui Cha very much...especially with the soup....yum yum!!!

Anonymous said...

lui is not thunder... its 'grinding action of mortar and pestle'... hence 'lui'... just my 2 sen..

Jys said...

oo, ok. then 客家雷茶 is Hakka 'grinding action of mortar and pestle' Tea Rice lor.. hehe..

Post a Comment